5.20.2009

DZP: 90help someone learn to read

So on Monday I met with a good friend and patron of Hoi, Mr. Gonzalez, and I signed up for 'Who's Up For Reading?'. This is an after school program that meets 2 days a week where students team up with mentors and work improve reading skills. The program also gives the students a healthy dinner and snack after school. I met some of the students and mentors on Monday, and I was just overwhelmed with how amazing the kids are and how hard the mentors work to help these children. I signed up as a mentor, but unfortunately I have to wait until September for the new school year program to start. I am very excited about the program, and I cannot wait for September. Definately cannot cross this off the list yet, but I wanted to let you all know that I am working on this one.

Also, I think I decided on what I will be writing my congressman about. Check out bluegreenamerica.org. Looks good to me!

I hope that everyone out there is doing well.

3 comments:

jared said...

That's awesome Chris. I kind of did something like that in high school with Ms Craig. Also I tried checking out that link and it didn't work.

jessica said...

i love you christopher burgan.

a_dopico@hotmail.com said...

Hey. I met you there. Short story on how I stumbled across your blog, I will share another day.
In any case, do you live on the Northside? Hopefully so. I am working on starting/being involved in an existing program for summertime. If you are interested, let me know.
alaina.dopico@gmail.com