11.20.2008

How many people have been on business trips?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/19/autos.ceo.jets/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Is anyone shocked to hear about corporate CEO's living lavish lifestyles? Unfortunately, I have become very cynical to this issue and almost see it as a moot point. However, the recent news of the Big 3 auto CEO's traveling to DC to beg for $25,000,000,000 (billion) in tax dollars to help stave off a massive, cross-industry economic collapse, while each flying in their own private jet, struck me as most disheartening. In Congressional sessions yesterday, Rep. Brad Sherman of California asked if any of the three flew commercial. It was a rhetorical question I am sure. However, what really, really, really struck me as odd was what Mr. Tom Wilkinson, the GM spokesperson said, and I quote the above article:

"Making a big to-do about this when issues vital to the jobs of millions of Americans are being discussed in Washington is diverting attention away from a critical debate that will determine the future health of the auto industry and the American economy..."

Huh?

Chrysler Spokeswoman Lori McTavish said in a statement, "while always being mindful of company costs, all business travel requires the highest standard of safety for all employees."

I personally know at least 20 of people who fly for business. None of them get a private jet. I know hundreds of people who MAY get $0.30 per mile they drive for business.

I wonder how many Chrysler employees have access to the private jet?

WTF?

No comments: